Product Number : 0004-0357-99
Pegasys (peginterferon alfa-2a) is made from human proteins that help the body fight viral infections. Pegasys is used to treat chronic hepatitis B or hepatitis C in adults, and to treat chronic hepatitis C in children who are at least 5 years old.
Pegasys in combination with Copegus is the first and only regimen approved by the FDA for the treatment of chronic HCV in patients co-infected with clinically stable HIV. Pegasys in combination with Copegus is the first pegylated interferon regimen FDA approved for patients chronically infected with HCV who have severely damaged but still functioning livers (i.e., compensated Child Pugh Class A cirrhosis). Pegasys is also the only pegylated interferon indicated for the treatment of adult patients with chronic HBV who have livers that are damaged but still functioning (compensated liver disease), evidence of HBV multiplying (viral replication) and liver inflammation
- PEGASYS therapy may cause patients to develop mood or behavioral problems
- Some people who take PEGASYS alone or in combination with ribavirin may get heart problems
- Stroke or symptoms of a stroke.
- Some people taking PEGASYS develop new or worsening autoimmune problems
- Some people who take PEGASYS may get an infection.